Sunday, July 24, 2011

"Sands" Observation Tower: Port Royal, South Carolina

I got up really early one morning in the last week of November. I drove over to this place called "The Sands" which runs along the edge of Port Royal, between there and Parris Island. It was cold, and I was dying to get a good sunrise pic.
 Well when I got there, I turned on the camera as the sun started to rise above the tree line, and just as I did, the battery died!... I was sick!...Anyway, I snapped a few with my phone, but they really didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped.
 I decided to go back at sunset and at least try to get a few shots in. This was one of the shots that turned out nice, This is a multi level ovservation tower that sits on the water, facing Parris Island. The sun was low, and I moved around until I got it behind the tower. I think it turned out ok.
This is the beginning of the walkway that leads to the tower. This is a really peaceful place to gather your thoughts, clear your head, or if you have the gear, simply go and fish.
This is the view from the top of the tower. I know, it's not like standing on top of the Hatteras light, but it still has some really great views. This was facing  toward the parking lot. The wind was calm, and there was no noise other than the sound of the troops on Parris Island doing there thing. I don't know what was going on, but you could hear them yell, or 'chant' in unison. It was pretty cool to hear.
On the top of the tower is where I ran into this guy...lol...He was on the far corner away from me the entire time I was taking shots. At first he was so still, that I didn't think he was real. So, I started to get a little closer, a step at a time. I'd snap a picture as I went. Soon, he started to move. I was just floored that he didn't fly away really. Now this shot was taken with NO zoom. I got this close to it. I could've easily reached out and touched him. I've never been that close to one other than when I was a kid when I'd go and feed those pigeons with my Grandma downtown.
 This was the first place that Renee and myself went to when I got to Beaufort. Not exactly this spot, but just a tad north, on the other side of the boat ramp. (like 4 football fields from this shot) It was also the first place I had seen dolphins swimming about 100 yards from the shore. I miss that place. If you didn't know where it was, I don't think you could easily find it, but I'll never forget how to get there, and hope to do it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment