Sunday, July 24, 2011

An afternoon in Hunting Island, South Carolina

Another day, and another place to discover.
 Renee told me there was a light house on Hunting Island, about 15 miles away from where we were at the time. I was stoked! I love lighthouses! There's so much history surrounding them, and this one was no different.
 The light itself was a metal structure and construction had originally started in 1859. It was destroyed in 1862 during the civil war. Construction began again in 1873, and was finished in 1875. She stands 136 feet tall, and offers some beautiful vistas from her hand rial at the base of her light. It's well worth the climb. She was situated on a jetty one mile away from where she stands now after being moved in 1889 due to the threat of erosion.
 It's now operated as a state park.





 We went down to the light house, and drove around inside the park itself too. There were so many places there to just 'escape'....I saw alot of people doing just that.
 On this little lake like area, where the water wrapped back around the island, is where I spotted these 2 older fellows fishing. I watched them for about 5 minutes or so, and they were carrying on quite the conversation. I want to think that it was about who had the best "the one that got away" story.


 Out on the shoreline I spotted this old man. I walked the shore trying to get the best spot to shoot him without him seeing me do it..lol...so I got to a clear section, stooped down with the camera on my knee, kind of covered it, and shot him about 4 times to get the right shot. This was using full zoom too, and how I kept it steady is beyond me.






 Now this fellow looked as if he had no cares in the world. His chair pointed into the breeze, with a book in his hands. Again, I was at the end of the walkway leading from the parking lot to the sand, stooped down and shot. This one took about 5-6 shots. All of them were centered, and when I got it into edit, I set him off to the left while showing more of the sand leading up to his chair.
 The place was really nice, and later, I went back and put together a 'short' using this location at the beginning.
 I've gotta tell you, that 'Low Country' area is just simply beautiful, and amazing to shoot. I love it there, and hope to go back again soon. It's the only place I've ever been that STILL felt like 'home', even though it was over 5 1/2 hours away from my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment